Tiri Tiri Matangi is such an awesome spot for bird watching and located so close to Auckland, just a picturesque 1 ¼ hour ferry trip across the Hauraki Gulf from central Auckland.
You can visit for the day or stay the night in the Department of Conservation hut.
When you visit I have put together some handy hints to maximise your bird watching experience;
- paying for a guided walk is well worth it ( you book this when you book your ferry ticket ) and all the money goes straight to the sanctuary society
- look up and you will be surprised at what you see. Our visit to Tiri Tiri Matangi was the the best bird spotting we have experienced and we all came home with sore necks from looking up #birdspottinginjury
- while there is an awesome visitor centre on the island there are no shops selling food so make sure you take enough supplies.
- most of the trails would be pushchair friendly although a little steep – going at a slower pace would be great for bird watching though.
- the penguin nesting boxes are easier to view when you put your phone on camera and use the phone screen to view
- there is a ute and trailer that can take your gear up the top of the hill to the visitor centre ( and if you are staying the night they take your gear up the hill too )
- if you want to stay the night in the hut, plan to book early as its very popular and such a great way toe experience the island after the day trippers go home
and the other thing I learned is that the kokako ( featured in the image above) is actually rarer than the kiwi so we were super lucky to have one put on quite a show for us on our last visit
To book your ferry go to the Fullers website, hut bookings for overnight stay are on the Department of Conservation website.